Thursday, September 6, 2012

Not my way....


God taught me an important lesson a few days ago. So here's what happened. We had our entire day planned out. It was going to be perfect. I knew exactly WHERE I wanted to be, WHO was going to be there, and WHEN it was going to happen.

During my studies that morning I had come across a verse in Proverbs 3:5-6. It says

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding. 
In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct thy paths."

Without much thought, I went on with my business. As the day proceeded, and every single solitary plan I had fell through, I realized there was a problem.



I had every intention of doing things MY way.  Nothing was going to stop me! Even when we prayed things didn't work out because if God didn't tell me to do it how I thought it should be done, I probably wouldn't have listened.

Unfortunately, I didn't figure all of this out until it was too late. We went home that evening feeling like the world's worst missionaries. As I was writing in my journal before bed the Spirit reminded me that Heavenly Father had warned me that morning to not do exactly what I did - "...lean unto thine own understanding..."

The next day we tried it a little differently. Before every decision we prayed, we listened, and we received an answer. And ya know, our day went a whole lot smoother. So from now on I'm gonna do myself a favor.



No comments:

Post a Comment